The "Port Jefferson Harbor Complex Harbor Management Plan" was written, in it's final draft, in 1999 with the Town, Village of Port Jefferson, Village of Belle Terre, Village of Old Field and the Village of Poquott. The Plan gives an overview of history, goals and implementation strategy to accomplish these goal.
The Five Parts of Implementation were as follows: Quoted directly from the Harbor Management Plan
1) Enter into a Joint Memorandum of Agreement to Adopt the Harbor Management Plan and to form a Harbor Advisory Commission .......The harbor advisory commission, consisting of one elected municipal official or designee from each village board and the Town board.......
2) Establish a Uniform Harbor Local Law and Surface Water Use Map
3) Enter into a Joint Memorandum of Agreement Regarding Administration and Enforcement of the Local Law
4) Hire a Harbormaster Exclusively for the Harbor Complex
5) Pursue Funding Opportunities to Implement the Plan
The Port Jeff Harbor Advisory Committee holds a public meeting in the spring, before the season begins, and in the fall, after the seasons over. This allows for public input on all aspects of the boating community. All public hearings are held at the Port Jefferson Annex Building. The spring public hearing will be held on April 18 at 7:00 p.m. and the fall public hearing will be held on November 14 at 7:00 p.m.