November 14, 2012
Farmingville, NY – On Tuesday, November 13, Acting Supervisor Kathleen Walsh signed Executive Emergency Order #6C to modify Executive Emergency Order #6B that ordered the mandatory evacuation of all Town of Brookhaven portions of Fire Island as of 4:30 p.m., November 2, 2012. That order is hereby renewed and remains in effect, as well as the other provisions of Executive Emergency Order #6B dealing with access by registered contractors, but is modified by allowing resident property owners of the Brookhaven portion of Fire Island to return to their properties on the following dates and between the following times:
Wednesday, November 14 between the hours of 10:10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Thursday, November 15, 2012 between the hours of 10:10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Friday, November 16, 2012 between the hours of 10:10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, November 17, 2012 between the hours of 10:10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Such resident property owners must provide identification and obtain a pass from Brookhaven Town Department of Public Safety personnel who will be located at the ferry terminals before entering onto the Brookhaven portions of Fire Island. Access to the Town of Brookhaven portions of Fire Island shall be by ferry only.
Please note: Davis Park ferry service is presently available only on weekends.
1. DO NOT REMOVE ANY TAPE OR MARKINGS FROM YOUR HOUSE!!!!!
2. You are entering a disaster area. There are various sizes and types of debris all over the island. YOU MUST HAVE APPROPRIATE FOOTWEAR.
3. There is no drinkable water on the island, even though there may be running water in your house.
4. Your electrical service has been turned off. DO NOT touch any circuit breakers, fuses, or electric of any kind in your home.
5. The propane at your home has been turned off at the tank or your tanks may have been removed by fire personnel for safety reasons. DO NOT attempt to turn on your stove, grill, or heating system.
6. Volunteer firefighters will be circulating through your community to assist.
7. There will be no emergency medical services on Fire Island. You proceed at your own risk.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCESS TO FIRE ISLAND:
1. Ferries will be charging a fee for boarding.
2. No one under the age of 16 and no pets will be permitted to board the ferry
3. Only two members per household will be allowed to board the ferry.
4. You will not be allowed to board the ferry if you have a pet with you.
5. You may want to bring some drinking water and a bagged lunch.
6. Bring a supply of heavy duty garbage bags to clean out your refrigerator.
7. No wagons will be permitted either way on the ferry.
8. It is suggested you bring a flashlight and camera to document damage.
9. You will need to present documentation of residency/ownership, i.e. deed, utility bill, tax receipt, etc. and proper identification must be produced (driver’s license, etc.) to compare with town records. Upon producing same, a pass will be issued.
Call 451-TOWN or visit www.brookhaven.org for other storm related news and information.
Division of Public Information * Office of the Supervisor
One Independence Hill • Farmingville • NY 11738 • Phone (631) 451-6595 • Fax (631) 451-6258