Farmingville, NY – In anticipation of the blizzard forecasted for this weekend, the Town of Brookhaven is urging residents to prepare for the storm and take “common sense” precautions to ensure their safety. To report a power outage or downed wires, call LIPA at 800-490-0075 or 631-755-6900, or go to www.lipower.org to make a report online.
• Stay off the roads and park your car in your driveway to allow snow plows and emergency vehicles to pass.
• Clear fire hydrants in your area.
• Remove ice and snow from steps, sidewalks and walkways.
• Keep cell phones and other electronic devices charged.
• Have a battery operated radio and a flashlight ready in case of a power outage.
• When shoveling snow, dress warm in layers and avoid over-exertion.
• If you must drive, make sure your tires are properly inflated and windshield wipers are working properly.
• Keep your pets indoors.
• Check on elderly and infirmed friends and neighbors.
• Listen to the local radio or television news for weather updates and emergency notifications.
Click here to view our Emergency Management page for additional resources.
For more snow storm preparation tips, go to www.redcross.org.
Please go to the Town’s website at www.brookhaven.org for up-to-date snow storm related news, information, weather updates and emergency contact numbers. Residents can also call 451-TOWN to report snow related issues. Call 911 for police, fire and ambulance emergencies only.
The Town will also be sending out e-mail alerts to residents who have registered on our e-mail list. If you are not on the list, you can sign up today at www.brookhaven.org. Residents can also sign up for countywide Code Red alerts at www.suffolkcountyny.gov.
Division of Public Information * Office of the Supervisor
One Independence Hill • Farmingville • NY 11738 • Phone (631) 451-6595 • Fax (631) 451-6258